DOB: 16 January 1993
Birthplace: Canberra ACT, Australia
Occupation: Government Employee
Dream Job: World Rally Driver
Holiday Destination: Ireland or Canada
Favourite Rally: Bega Valley Rally, Rally Australia
Favourite Rally Car: Lancia Delta and Ford Fiesta WRC
Hero: Mark Webber
Rhys, 22, is one of the youngest competitors in the Australian Rally Championship.
Rhys started rallying midway through 2012 in a Hyundai Excel debuting a car built from the ground up at the iconic NSW round, the Bega Valley Rally. Taking off inspiration from his Father, Rhys only started rallying as he was forced out of a promising career in Australian rules football due to injury. Feeling like something was missing, Rhys turned to his Father and has never looked back since. In his first year competing, Rhys came from behind to win two NSW class championships. A year later he went back to back with the NSW Hyundai Excel rally championship and was consistently punching above his weight by beating more advanced cars.
Season 2014 saw Rhys step up into the Junior Australian Rally Championship in a Ford Fiesta R2. Rhys was also privileged and honoured to be one of Seventeen Australian drivers to be selected at the CAMS Elite Driver Academy camp. This assisted Rhys in learning what it takes to become an elite racing driver.
The year was tough as the new car had taken some time to develop however with a new season in 2015 the results and speed should showed what he was capable of.
Season 2015 saw Rhys drive in Various Australian Rally Championship rounds and NSW state rallies, in a bid to pursue his career overseas. Rhys is currently been mentored by Four times Australian Rally Champion Neal Bates and also current Australian Rally competitor Adrian Coppin. After a successful ARC round at the National Capital Rally in May finishing 5th outright he backed it up with a tremendous result at Rally Australia finishing an astonishing 20th outright WRC and 6th outright ARC, winning his class. With the fantastic result at Rally Australia, Rhys had done enough to secure the Australian 1600 cup Championship. He finished the year off coming 2nd outright in an ACT series rally taking multiple stage wins.
There is a lot to like about this young talented driver from the ACT as he has recently been signed to compete and drive in a Ford Fiesta R2 in the 2016 Junior British Rally Championship starting in May.
Rhys’ goal for 2016 is to go ‘back-to-back’ in the Australian 1600 cup and win the Junior British Rally Championship.
- 2012 – ACT Novice Driver Champion
- 2012 – NSW Hyundai Excel Drivers Champion
- 2013 – NSW Hyundai Excel Drivers Champion
- 2013 – NSW Clubman Series 2nd Driver
- 2014 – Australian Rally Championship Debut
- 2014 – CAMS Elite Driver Academy representative
- 2015 – Kumho ‘Spirit of the ARC’ award recipient
- 2015 – 1st 1600 cup round winner National Capital Rally
- 2015 – 2nd NSW Pace note series
- 2015 – 3rd NSW State Pocket Rockets Driver
- 2015 – 1st RC4 Class winner Rally Australia
- 2015 – 20th Outright Rally Australia World Rally Championship
- 2015 – 1st 1600 cup round winner Rally Australia
- 2015 – Australian 1600 Cup Drivers Champion
- 2016 – Driver Junior British Rally Championship
- 2016 – Driver Kennards Hire Rally Australia